Monday, July 6, 2009

Jazz Classical Pop & Sex

Here's an interview from Charles Mcpherson, a jazz saxophonist. I was just watching his interviews for fun since I might attend one of his concerts at Anthology woo! but then he started talking about different music, as well as Shakespeare, and why only a few people may really enjoy it, and I really started to listen. As someone who listens to classical and jazz music a lot, (thats not all i listen to as well), I agree with alot of things he says, he speaks the truth in my opinion... but Watch it! I tried to type out the part of the interview I liked the most, so sorry if a couple words are wrong, itll start around 4:00


"The difference between that music, jazz music and classical music is that, the marketing ability to sell that music has nothing to do with sex.. none. none! Okay, if you take the element of the sexual component, out of pop music, i dont know if that would sell. So when you go to classical concert and youre into classical music, sex persay really doesnt have anything to do with it,if the music has something to do with it..its the same thing with jazz, so if you love music, you love the music. You dont love the way the persons pants fit, or the dress, or how handsome or ugly or pretty or unpretty a performer is its like, how do they sing, what does the voice sound like, this is what youre into. These two musics classical music and jazz music and maybe other musics too, are dealing with music, pure music, like it or not. Has nothing to do with the trappings, pop music in the whole pop consciousness, the whole thing is trappings. Its green smoke, its a guy killing a chicken on the bandstand, its somebody coming making an entrance from the top of this wall on a string, its a guy putting his guitar on fire, its somebody half naked, thats what, if you take all that away... no i mean because people like jazz because they like billie holiday because she could sing her butt off, not because..her buns were this way or that way or shes got green smoke coming out of her ears or she just killed a bunny rabbit.. soo as long as the level of consciousness is like that, which is probably about 4 inches below the naval, then itll never be, neither will shakespeare, neither will jazz, itll never be fertile(word?), maybe that will change.."
- Charles Mcpherson

Just some food for thought. Whatever it is, whether its music, or people or anything, you should appreciate something for what it really is, or for who they reallly are. Dont get caught up with the trappings, its about the substance not the shine. It's annoying, I hear people say or read comments about music artists like "omg she is so sexyyy id wife her" or "mmm i want him now". Now, I know its normal for people to say things like this, but the thing is I hardly hear or see things like "wow thats such a great song" or "i can totally relate to this". There'll always be things like this going on I know that, but I just feel theres a real lack of appreciation for real music these days, and that people and especially the media focus on the things that really don't matter, like looks, sex appeal, what people are wearing. There's a lack of appreciation for a lot of things that are really valuable like literature, art and music. I dunno..

Anyways, the music in my life is awesome. Summer band with Mr. Torns is crazy, we're playing such awesome music. And today summer jazz just started, and its fun! It's been too long since I've really written a blog, the past couple have just been lyrics/videos..I guess this is kinda the same haha but I feel like I wrote more of what I felt this time. Woo!
Till next time

No comments: